Pages

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sunday Pot Roast on a Wednesday

I love to smell pot roast cooking! I used to always cook it in the crockpot and was never crazy about it. Now, I put it in the oven and it is so good. I start by browning my roast in a cast iron dutch oven, getting it really brown on all sides. Take out the roast and saute (in butter) one onion, 2 stalks of celery ( these can be chopped in large pieces as they will be taken out) about 20 whole peppercorns, a clove of garlic, and a teaspoon of ground thyme. ( don't leave out the thyme!) Saute for about 5 minutes, then add a can of beef broth. I think the consomme tastes the best.

Put the roast back in with the lid on, pop it in the oven @ 350 for 3 hours. I basted it every 30 minutes to keep it moist. Once it's done drain the broth, discarding the vegetables. Shred the roast with a fork and place it back in the pot with a pound of carrots. Pour the broth back over the roast and cook for about 30 minutes to an hour more, depending on the size and cut of your roast. A Chuck roast won't take as long as a shoulder because of the fat content.

We had rosemary red potatoes with it. It was very tasty!

5 comments:

  1. Mouthwatering! Love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I can't wait for the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. I owe my husband a pot roast and I love using slow cookers since I don't have a dutch oven. Rosemary potatoes is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this post and ran out this morning and got a roast! It really did look THAT good!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!